Friday, September 01, 2006

Welcome to my Toronto International Film Festival blog!

I'm Stacy, a long-time volunteer at the festival (I think this is my 7th or 8th year - I've lost count by now!). This year, like the previous two, I will be the volunteer captain for the Midnight Madness screenings at the Ryerson venue. Hence the title "Midnight Queen".

I'm actually only working six festival shifts this year, since I discovered after last year's all-ten-nights schedule that it is not a brilliant idea to spend ten whole days cramming sleep sessions in between 3 a.m. shift close and 7 a.m. box office runs. Harvey, my rockin' shadow captain from last year, is taking over the other four, bless the crazy lad.

(for those of you not up on your volunteer lingo, a captain is an experienced volunteer who helps to coordinate the other volunteers on a shift, makes sure that everyone gets breaks/rewards/fun, and pitches in throughout the shift. Shadow captains are in training to become full-fledged captains the following year)

(I've asked Chris, the volunteer manager, if I can change my title from "Captain" to "Mistress", but no dice)

Also new for me this year is a Daypass. I'm anxiously awaiting the lottery results to see how I fared on my selections (Box 11, wish me luck!). I usually see about 40-50 movies each festival, along with my volunteer shifts. Actually knowing some of my screening times in advance is going to be a tad strange: I'm used to running around with a handful of volunteer vouchers and popping into whatever rush line will take me! The only film I'm stressing about getting tickets for is the new Guy Maddin, "The Brand Upon the Brain" - it only has a single screening, and is of course the film I most want to see at the festival. Cue rush line!

As of Sept 7th, most of the posts to this blog will be made post-3 a.m., as I attempt to capture the day's screenings and memorable stories before collapsing. Please be warned that my coherency will likely take a nosedive as the festival unfolds - if last year's blogging experience is any indication, I'll mostly be typing in vowel noises by the end. Fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home